Monday, January 18, 2010

Any Objections to this Song?

In this not-so-recent post, I wondered how well David Cassidy would render the timeless "Sunny" and someone brought up that he's never really sung much with a Motown or Rhythm and Blues feel to it. Not an expert on musical genres here but I think "It Should Have Been Me" might qualify. Both Kim Weston and Gladys Knight & the Pips recorded this song in the sixties and then Yvonne Fair made it a hit in the mid-seventies. Besides David Cassidy's version, I haven't found any other versions by male vocalists. Ray Charles' "It Should Have Been Me" is a different song entirely.

Cassidy sings these lyrics with too much resignation and not enough indignation but in the first thirty seconds, his honeyed voice beckons with just enough soul and passion for us to give his rendition a chance. You can listen to DC's "It Should Have Been Me" here - apologies for the abrupt ending. The song can be found on "The Best of David Cassidy", the album released in 1991 by Curb Records in Japan, consisting of songs recorded and rejected for an album back in 1979. Embedded below are versions from Kim Weston, Gladys Knight & the Pips and Yvonne Fair.





7 comments:

SLK said...

ooh, DD, I love when you do these comparison kind of posts. I've never heard DC sing this song, or any other r & b kind of song, so this is very interesting. He doesn't do a bad job with it, I think. I do like Gladys Knight's version the best, though, but she was a master of the genre. Maybe DC needs some Pips behind him to fill out his song a little.

singmedavid said...

I haven't heard this either. I like Gladys Knight's version the best too. It is very interesting to hear his voice do this kind of song. His voice is honeyed, but he doesn't quite give it the feeling that the others put into it it seems. I wonder if he would have done a better job when he was younger. I think he really COULD do a stunning job with these types of songs. Thanks DD!!!

British fan said...

ity it's so hard to get hold of these little known albums of his. I like his version. It's fine. There's no complaints here about the voice. I think with David, it would be good for him to sometimes 'let it all go' when he sings and just let rip from the heart. I would love to hear that!!!!

British fan said...

I seem to have lost my 'P'. Using spare keyboard today. Apologies.

Daydreaming David said...

SingmeDavid, this is a young David in this clip. I should have been clearer in my description: though the album was released in 1991, it is made up of songs recorded in 1979. I shall edit my initial post to avoid confusion.

singmedavid said...

Hmmm. Thanks for explaining, DD. I think he does a good job with the song, but it just seems like he put less feeling into this than many other songs he's done. If we didn't have the other renditions to compare it too, I may not have even noticed.

ContraryMary said...

I'd not heard DC's version of this song before either, and I too don't think it's as good as the other versions. Must say though, had he recorded this in more recent years think he would have made a better version as his voice has got stronger as he has got older.