Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sure Looks Sincere, Doesn't He?

Guess they underestimated his acting talent.



Can anyone tell me what the frig John Lennon had to do with the question? Aside from the random "John Lennon was my BFF, now do you believe I'm cool?!" factor.

Who else is hoping the über-fan dinner guest regales the DC fandom with her meeting come Sunday morning? Who doesn't give a flying fig?

And here's my open letter to David Cassidy, because, well, you saw the video too:

David, I'm so, so, sorry I lost track of you all these years. You hate me because I dropped you like a hot potato, but what did I know? I was twelve. Your show had already been off the air for over four years - I discovered you through reruns, for pete's sake! There were no Partridge Family albums left in the stores when my mother did her Christmas shopping - all she could find for me was "The World of the Partridge Family". But you could have tried harder to reach us, no? You had these great RCA albums you could have hawked. (I was still too young to watch "Police Story".) I'm so sorry I was a fair weather fan. I'm back now. I have seen the light: your voice was unparalleled (no offense but I have trouble saying "is" - you have to admit, it has declined in some respects) and I hate - not as much as you do, of course - that people don't credit your talent beyond being a heart throb. And we know that's not talent, that's genetics. So I'm doing what I can to right my wrongs: I'm blogging my little heart out to get the word out that you are talented and all that mania was deserved. It wasn't just hype. It was your talent and your charisma that shone through and touched us. I've been re-discovering your career for the past ten months now and have yet to tire of your albums (well, not all of them - a couple were crap on a disc, sorry).

But please, you have to do your part. You have to respect your fans enough to realize that we know how conflicted you are about that teen idol business. Don't pander to this overblown fake nostalgia bit and go on about how you love your fans for what they've given you (you went this route to promote "Ruby" and we all know how that turned out...wince.) The majority of us abandoned you! We gave you heartache. We made it so that casting agents didn't give you the time of day. We thought we were too cool for you. I'll even admit to some eye rolling when a friend reminded my teenage self of my young crush on you. "The Harder They Fall" indeed.

But now, I've seen the errors of my ways and I won't stand for anyone disrespecting you or The Partridge Family. Today, I am unapologetic in my stance: "the guy has his issues but he had one of the most beautiful male voices in popular music and he's recorded a sublime version of "Ain't No Sunshine"". I can rattle off your accomplishments almost as well as your hundreds of loyal fans who never abandoned you throughout the decades. I am a born again believer. I'm not alone either. Please. Trust us. No more of these uncomfortable interviews with fake fawning from "on-air personalities". We are above that.

While I'm at it, might as well ask you: can you make your records easier to obtain? I'm trying my darnedest to buy some of your albums but they are OUT OF PRINT. The online store showed stock, I clicked "buy" and waited and waited and waited and finally, I received an email advising me it was OUT OF PRINT and I was out of luck. And how about all those unreleased Partridge Family songs tucked away in vaults? Wouldn't it just be the bees' knees to release those gems for the 40th anniversary of the PF? One last thing: that movie coming up? Once it's wrapped and you're actively promoting it, can you NOT say it's the best work you've ever done? Cause that line is getting, like all of us, kind of old.

"Come on baby, let's start anew..."

15 comments:

singmedavid said...

DD, this is a beautiful letter!!!

I was going to start this comment out with some attention getting key words that might have a slight chance of alerting the right person to get him to read it. But then I thought by some of your other remarks that you weren't expecting him to see it so I decided not to do that. :-)

LuckyB. said...

DD,that is really a wonderful letter!

While reading it,I imagine Mr.Cassidy would read this himself might reflect about it and that it might give him food for thought.

Thank you,DD!!

British fan said...

There's not much I can add. It echoes my sentiments too. I get so conflicted at times. I do remember the hysteria first time round though, and I did follow his career for several years after he 'retired' himself. It was very hard to find any info on DC or what he was doing. If David truly believes what he says in that interview, he would give his blessing to the release of the PF music back-catalog and do his best to get his past albums re-released by some label or other. He would benefit from this financially and get many of his scattered fans back on side. HE REALLY IS VERY FORTUNATE THAT SO MANY FANS DID STICK BY HIM DURING THOSE WILDERNESS YEARS. There was scant reward for their efforts, a few morsels thrown here and there. He should be so much more grateful today, i.e. his actions should mirror his sentiments!

LOL! about the best work he's ever done. What a catchphrase, doesn't really have any meaning - it's been overused somewhat!

Thanks for your heartfelt thoughts DD. You could always send it to his website!

British fan said...

I dont agree with the practice of holding back tickets either. Usually means all the front rows are unabailable. It's a risky business (they're pricey), what if they dont sell? Guess the dinner is an incentive. Pulling out all the stops here to get bums on seats. If he was this generous with his time more often he'd still be filling his arenas to capacity and get better bookings. Doesn't take much to make fans happy, a little appreciation and goodwill goes an awful long way.

I guess he'll pick a 'regular' family type if that's possible rather than one of his die-hards whose intention would be to seduce him. LOL! He'd be safe with a husband/wife combo.

Is it slightly acerbic of me to suggest that he's not really looking forward to that dinner date at all! There will be a shotgun trained on him from a hidden room for sure. I jest.

Daydreaming David said...

What, Singme, you don't think he'd concur with my crap on a disc remark?

Bf, you do make me laugh. Bums on seats and a shotgun dinner. Indeed.

Glad you all appreciated my sentiments.

SLK said...

Remember the woman who posted here about how she paid $1000 for a meet & greet, and then barely got to shake his hand? I have no doubt at all that that's what this will be for whomever wins that contest. It's such a scam. I can't even watch these interviews anymore because I don't believe a word he says. He makes it sound like John Lennon was his best friend. If you read his books, he says that they hung out several times. Not the same thing at all.

Wow, have I lost faith. Like all of it. No faith left at all.

singmedavid said...

It should be an interesting week on the internet at least with all these upcoming concerts, for anyone who's still interested.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone has to apologize for being a fair weather fan. We all have lives and ups and downs with our income.
Many times I go to a concert and only remember one song an artist sang and then was surprised by how much other work I was unaware of.

Blood Brothers and Vegas was a generation ago.
Partridge Family sitcoms still run on DVD and TV.
I think it is important people are criticals of DAvid'a work and interviews.
David past fans seem too passive about his behavior.

Anonymous said...

CRINGE, he comes across as such an arrogant cocky insincere bitter jerk. Please David make it stop!! I can just about listen to aradio interview, but to watch it, is awful.
Review of last night's show by the way, not flattering yet again.

http://musicblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/we-were-there-david-cassidy-an.html

singmedavid said...

Thanks Anon 2/7/10 4:43 am.

About forgetting words, a tour guide suggested a couple of months ago that perhaps he forgets words because he loses his place from it being so automatic. Well, he hasn't been touring that much so I guess that excuse doesn't fly anymore. He doesn't give the impression that he's interested in his shows anymore if he doesn't bother to rehearse or practice lyrics.

SLK, I hope we get to hear a truthful account by the winner of dinner with David.

Daydreaming David said...

Thanks for the link, Anonymous. In her review, Joy Tipping brings up the same legitimate complaints about Cassidy's show that we've discussed here again and again. Someone left a comment and it's a hoot.

British fan said...

Yeah I read that comment. He can't hope to be taken seriously by anyone other than over-sexed middle-aged women if he doesn't put the effort into his performances. It's a concert hall not a pick-up joint! Sorry, there was something hinted at in that comment.

Daydreaming David said...

British fan, I had to re-read the comment. This is the hint you meant: "he gushes about how much he loves his fan, yeah a little too much love from what I have heard."? Wow. That went totally over my head. For all the internet snooping I've done on the man, I've yet to come across any current stories to that effect.

Daydreaming David said...

Started a new entry specifically for the concert. I'll be updating the post with whatever other relevant coverage I find on the concert. Thanks again for review link, Anon 4:43.

British fan said...

Well, that's good to hear, just insinuation then. Apart from contact during concerts, he rarely interacts with fans, so I dont see any groupie activity being a reality.