Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Counterfactuals

"Counterfactuals are the woulda-coulda-shouldas of life, all the things that might happen in the future, but haven't yet, or that could have happened in the past, but didn't quite. Human beings care deeply about those possible worlds - as deeply as they care about the real actual world."
Alison Gopnick, "The Philosophical Baby - What Children's Minds Tell Us About Truth, Love, and The Meaning of Life"
(Not everything I read has to do with David Cassidy, you know. I just have a gift for relating it to him. :-))

So, if anyone asks why you're reading a blog about David Cassidy: you are pondering the counterfactuals of his career.

3 comments:

singmedavid said...

I've never even heard of that word. That concept certainly applies to our discussions about David's career, etc. I love it!

Thanks DD!

British fan said...

Counterfactuals - new one on me. But hey, that's what I've been wasting time doing this past year or so. Ha! David coulda-shoulda done this/or that and maybe coulda/woulda do this in the future. Funny, I could write a book on counterfactuals where DC is concerned. LOL!
'Hey, David, ya nevva shoulda recorded Rainsdrops', done in a Bronx Italian accent! And David would say back 'Heya you, Shadup-a-your-face'.LOL!

singmedavid said...

DC Counterfactuals would be an interesting book, BF!!!