Monday, March 22, 2010

A Treat and Damn Google Alerts

Here's a pic I'm sure will be new to many here. Now, wasn't that a treat?

And direct from the "Google Alerts make me discover crap and everybody has free speech" camp, here's some guy's list of music to be eradicated from your ipod. Poor chap knows very little of DC's music if he thinks he belongs in the same camp as Milli Vanilli. Wish I knew what criteria he used to make this list because while I'm not a fan per se of many of these artists, a few have some very catchy tunes. What's the harm in that? Here are a couple I'd add unabashedly add to my ipod. Didn't appreciate Hanson's first hit when it came out - now I think it's pop gold. Thanks to their perfect soundtrack, Wang Chung is forever inextricably linked to the 1985 movie "To Live and Die in L.A." Before that, they had some catchy dance tunes too. Seriously, who can resist "Dance Hall Days"?





6 comments:

Clodyne said...

MMMBop...wow that takes me back! My daughter Karine used to be a fan of the HANSON when she was 9 or 10.LOL She would listen to this song all day long.Great song by the way. ;-)

Daydreaming David said...

Clodyne, had you ever seen that early Broadway pic of David?

Clodyne said...

Yes!I have seen that picture of David somewhere,but can't remember where. :-( Thanks for sharing DD. ;-)

British fan said...

Great detective work there, how do you people find these things?! How cute and young he looks there. I'm baffled by his right knee. It looks like there is a marble stuck down his trouser leg. Go have a look. Perhaps it's just a strange camera angle but it's bugging me.

I dont know much of Wang Chung, they were big in America but not so much in Britain.

singmedavid said...

Wow!! How did I miss the Hanson brothers??? Some serious androgynous intrigue going on there. I do remember that song - liked it a lot!!! I'm surprised they weren't bigger.

That list is so ... biased and it seems poorly researched when he says they have not stood the test of time. For instance, while Celine Dion's voice is not one of my favorites, the woman CAN sing very, very well and she's still singing. I'd like to see what he thinks is worth listening to.

I can't believe that picture!!!! What a find!!!! I'm behind on my google alerts. There are occasionally gems to be found in there, eh?

Daydreaming David said...

British Fan, I see what you mean. Pretty sure that's his bony knee accentuated by the lighting.

Singme, I think Hanson are still playing - either singly or as a group - but they were HUGE when they were at the top of the pop charts. I was way past buying Tiger Beat by then but I do recall seeing their faces everywhere. Not familiar with their stuff but have read that it's actually good pop.

That list...well, it seems done off the top of his head and of course, as you say, very biased. I checked out some of his posts about what he likes and can't recognize half the names. Alternative stuff for the most part. I've a feeling all he knows about DC is "ITILY". Hey, his loss. I was tempted to comment on that post and then thought "what does it matter?" Some random guy blogging away about his musical likes and dislikes. Sort of like me (except for the guy part). If this list had been written with serious intent by a critic in an online paper, I'd have commented.