Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vroom, Vroom - The Perfect Vehicle?

(Resurrected this entry from a draft written in January, so please excuse any anachronisms.)

In this post's comments, an anonymous reader wondered what vehicle could help David Cassidy expand his audience base since "Ruby & The Rockits" wasn't renewed. What would help him reconnect with his audience or reach a new one?

Cultural references to David Cassidy's heyday ("ITILY" in the Lipton Sparkling Tea commercial, his posters in the recent "The Lovely Bones" movie, for example) are always positive because they prompt "whatever happened to him?" Googling from curious former fans and expose a younger generation to his work. I was thinking along these lines when the ultimate pop culture vehicle du jour appeared to me like that sweet ride DC got during his Partridge Family contract re-negotiations.

Glee.

If you know to what I'm referring, skip the next couple of paragraphs. If you don't, here goes: "Glee" is a Fox TV series about a Spanish high school teacher who decides to revive the school's Glee Club (singing group) and renew its former competition glory. Think "Fame" ("I'm going to live forever!") but replace the pretense with snark and add a dash of convoluted, satiric, plots. It's an hour long cartwheel of drama, comedy and music created by "Nip/Tuck"'s Ryan Murphy.

The show won the Golden Globe for "Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy". It appeals to both kids and adults because the music is varied and story lines revolve around both teachers and students. The cast is brilliant and manages to improve the songs they cover. Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" actually sounds inspirational when sung by a conflicted high school student. "Glee" is enjoying major buzz right now: Madonna granted FREE use of her catalog to the producers for the All-Madonna season-opener episode (which I haven't seen yet, so, please, no spoilers); Olivia Newton-John and Jennifer Lopez are set to guest star; Clint Eastwood watches the show. 'Nuff said.

Anyway, for those who do watch the show, imagine these scenes:

-Mr. Shue introducing The Partridge Family or David Cassidy to the gang with lines like "bubblegum pop that stood the test of time" and "a teen idol who could actually sing"
-Finn singing "Brown Eyes" to Quinn
-Kurt leading the group with "I Woke Up in Love This Morning" after meeting a potential love interest. And he is set to get a boyfriend in the second-half of the season (or is it the second season?).
-Artie playing that rockin' opening bass line in "Love is All That I Ever Needed"

So many good pop songs the cast could cover - "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat", "Summer Days", "Every Little Bit of You"...- they don't even need to touch "ITILY" or "C'mon Get Happy" with a sky-high Cheerios pyramid. It would be amazing if David Cassidy's solo stuff could be featured. These songs still sound current (or am I biased because of the PF/DC bubble I've been living in these past few months?):

-Rock Me Baby
-Mae
-Daydreamer
-I Never Saw You Coming
-Fix of Your Love
-Common Thief
-Damned if this ain't Love
-Run and Hide
-Warm My Soul

What could make David Cassidy fans giddier than seeing his music acknowledged on a cool show?

Here's Bran Van 3000's "Drinking in L.A.". Just because it's from their 1997 debut album, Glee, and I love to plug Canadian talent :-)



And here's DC's "Oh No (No Way)" in the event my idea is loonier than a Canadian dollar coin. (His voice is so very perfectly sexy in this track.)

7 comments:

singmedavid said...

That would be a very cool indeed!!

I think it would be great for them to do a PF/DC theme on one show, and actually show David singing one of the songs younger and then have him sing it now.

It would be hard to "match" let alone "improve" on many of David's songs they're so good. And...there's no matching David's voice. They are good tunes though, so perhaps that's all that's needed.

Are there any videos of full Glee episodes uploaded anywhere?

British fan said...

I've heard of this show but haven't watched it, mainly because daughter has grown out of watching this type of show since she is now 'living it' so to speak. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's doing so well as I assumed it might be annoying and a bit twee.

You've come up with a good idea here. I guess the show would use PF material, since that is better known, but I'd prefer the solo stuff personally. I'm sure David would prefer that too, unless the coolness of the show put the PF tunes back into mainstream popularity, then he would go for it I'm sure. All he needs is a bit of credibility and if a show like this does/did it for him, all the better.

Love the pics from Spirit of 76, David's legs look so funny in those platforms, like they're gonna snap. Still he manages to pull off the 'look' surprisingly well. Very sex man. If only the film itself had been a little better done, he was really good in it! (Well, in what I've seen so far).

British fan said...

Yeah, like the Bran Van band, never heard of them either! I meant to add a Y to the word beginning with S above. The boots he is wearing must be his own, I'm sure he said that somewhere. I recognised them! He wore them once while singing Rock Me Baby.

Daydreaming David said...

Yup, Bf, those are his own "Rock Star" boots.

MaeB said...

I have never heard of this show, but if it means more PF-songs, no, I don't think that would be the way to go for David.

Daydreaming David said...

Singme, the episodes are uploaded on Fox's site. If you are interested in checking out the show, I suggest you start at the beginning rather than jump in mid-season. Must warn you that some episodes are uneven in quality. It was dipping near episode ten, IIRC.

singmedavid said...

Thanks, DD!