Friday, April 23, 2010

Had to Hear It to Believe It

Andy Williams singing "I Think I Love You". Here. Is it me or does he look ready to burst out laughing at the beginning? "Can you believe I'm about to sing this teeny-bopper ditty?"

It really is a great song and while the sentiment is universal, I think it's one of those pop tunes that sounds better left to the young and/or innocent ;-) It expresses those "first love" sentiments only too well and is a lot more convincing sung by a "teen idol" than by an established crooner. In my humble opinion, of course.

If you need to rinse your ears out and replace this only-too-respectable attempt with the "definitive" version, here it is.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I heard some years ago that Andy Williams did a remake of "I Think I Love You," and it surprised me that he would choose this song. It doesn't seem like his style. Andy Williams is more along the lines of Bing Crosby than David Cassidy, as far as his music style goes. I mean, this is the same Andy Williams who recorded the Christmas classic, "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year!" Andy Williams and David Cassidy are both great peformers, (and so is Bing Crosby) but their music styles are as different as night and day. To me, that would be like George Strait doing a remake of "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson.

singmedavid said...

Hi DD! That was interesting. HE kisses his fans!

I agree with you though, it's better left to the teen idols of the day, unless of course you're a former teen idol who used to cover that song!

DD, I just wanted to mention that the link you provided to the Andy Williams ITILY performance took me to a decorating site.

Daydreaming David said...

Fixed link. Thanks for letting me know, Singme.

British fan said...

I love some of Andy Williams songs from the 60s/70's, so I'll forgive him this one, doesn't sit right to me. Didn't realise he was such a babe magnet!

Apparantly he's still young and hip at heart as he's doing the Glastonbury Music festival this year. He'll get some new found kudos for that. It's the most well know festival on the calendar and very hip.

Daydreaming David said...

Happy to hear that about Williams. Thanks British Fan.