Monday, October 19, 2009

Money, Money..

Jane, over at her infamous fan site (well, it IS infamous for DC fans), summarized David's appearance on the Oprah Winfrey Show in February 2008.

"David talks about his old hits, which he says were crafted by the best in the business. "Some of the greatest musicians that ever, ever lived, I worked with and played with," he says. "I soaked it up like a sponge. In those five years, I couldn't have had [a better] education. I couldn't have bought it if I had $10 million.""

Oh, but you did, David. You did buy that education. Remember all those merchandising royalties you never got paid?

Now, what I want to know is where does he get five years? I'm assuming he's referring to the Partridge Family music. Isn't that four years? Does he round up the years, the way he rounds up his height?

And was I alone in being embarrassed by his performance on that show? I saw it once - probably on YT - and recall a lot of awkwardness from serenaded audience members. Didn't he sing ITILY out of tune? It didn't sound good at all. That's what I remember.

Here's David singing about money, making it sound sexier than it already is. Song written by Wes Farrell, Danny Janssen and Bobby Hart; appears on the PF's "Bulletin Board" album.


8 comments:

SLK said...

Wow, his hair was long in that shot! And ya gotta love the pukah shell necklace.

I don't know, Daydreaming. I think his performances now are more embarrassing because of some of the fans. Middle-aged women throwing lingerie at him. Yikes! I remember Oprah being astonished at the reactions of some of the people in her audience.

I never understood it 35 years ago, either. Teenage girls at his concerts screaming and crying---it never made sense to me. They say you couldn't hear the music at all---that it was just one high-pitched scream.

Anonymous said...

Hi, you're both on my wavelength. I wasn't allowed to go see David when I was young but if I had I would have wanted to hear him!I haven't seen the Oprah show and can't find any footage but I guess he did his usual stage act (cabaret style might look odd on tv) but in a studio and if the sound was off, that sometimes happens if you can't hear yourself from the band and start in the wrong key. I've seen lots of recent concert footage of him on y/tube and he always sounds great.
Wow, Daydreaming David 'money,money' is one of my most watched (favourite) videos and i've recently bought the cd of bulletin board - definitely one of my favourites. I'm waiting for other p/f albums coming from the USA. That video is awesome and just shows David off to perfection. It kind of leeaves me speechless!
The link to the 'infamous' site (which I love) is interesting because the quotes from David in that show match passages from the book almost word for word. I guess he has these things memorised, perhaps he counts 1970 as year 1, that would make 1974 year 5 if that makes any sense or he's got confused.
British fan xxx

cao said...

David has complained over the years about the concerts he gave. HE did make a lot of money on them and DC was worth 8 million dollars at the time.
David went bankrupt in 1976 due to bad money managers.
Many people in show business have had this happen to them.
Truth, there is no such thing as financial security.
DC could always go on the road if he wanted to make money.

Daydreaming David said...

cao, do you have any idea of the realistic costs of a performer going on the road? The overhead is enormous and unless you're supporting a specific album release, chances of coming out even are slim. Is your comment referring to the three RCA albums DC refused to support with touring? If so, I think it's fairly understandable why he didn't want to tour anymore at that point.

Daydreaming David said...

British fan: I must admit I would have been screaming my perfect "C"s along with all the others back then. Don't trust myself to say I wouldn't have fainted either. The expression "he makes me weak in the knees" is literal, after all ;-) But throwing underwear at anyone in public at any age is all kinds of ewww to me.

Daydreaming David said...

Whoops. Meant to address my above comment to SLK. Sorry about that.

Daydreaming David said...

British fan: you are right. If 1970 is year 1, those PF days total five years for DC. There's a reason I went into liberal arts...

cao said...

Its is not like DC has costume changes like Cher.
DC wears the same type of outfit each time.
Last time I saw him he had 3 other musicians.
I don't think DC even sends his guitar over. He mentioned the fact that the venue supplied him with the guitar. Last time I saw him he was pissed that the guitar wasn't tuned.
Fans have even said the shows are not heavily advertised.
The tickets to his show are still not cheap.
Show business does have its ups and down.
Even with all this, I wish DC would stop complaining becuase everyone has to deal with these factors.