Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Where's the Hendrix influence?

Ok, this is why I don't like the blond David. He railed against the bubblegum pop he was forced to sing in the early 70s, repeating to anyone who would listen that his greatest musical influences were Hendrix, Cream, Clapton, The Beatles, etc. yet, after an almost ten year absence from recording, he comes back with "The Last Kiss", a ballad I can't imagine any of his music heroes ever recording. Not only that, the song wasn't even original: it's the same melody as Cliff Richard's "Young Love" but with a slower tempo and different lyrics (Alan Tarney co-wrote the song and produced both Richard and Cassidy.) One redeeming feature of the song: George Michael's sighing background vocals.

"The Last Kiss" can be found on his album "Romance" released in 1985. I still have not managed to listen to the whole album in one sitting. Trying to do so as I type this entry. The lyrics to the first track, "Romance", make me wince. Granted, I'm not big on modern ballads and romantic songs but this one (and its video, especially) is particularly cheesy. David Cassidy dissed the Partridge Family's "bubblegum pop" for this? The sappiest PF song's lyrics are world's better than the "Romance" lyrics. Or is it the music that's rubbing me the wrong way? The PF discography has peppier tunes. "The Last Kiss" just wasn't my style back in the day (mind you, it was easy to overlook as it wasn't even released in North America) and I guess it still isn't. His earlier work has aged better.

Tell me, "The Last Kiss", yay or nay?


7 comments:

SLK said...

NAY. It's unlistenable. The synthesizers playing along with him are the just awful. The silly blond mullet and jacket with shoulder pads don't help, either, but he wore some pretty wild outfits in the 70's too, so I can forgive the look.

What I really don't understand is that he's consistently said that "The Last Kiss" is one of his favorite songs that he's ever recorded. It honestly makes me doubt the man's taste. If he really likes that stuff, then you're absolutely right, it does contradict all those rock & roll artists he said were his musical influences. The only other explanation I can think of is that he wants to be famous more than he wants to make good music, so he's willing to record whatever seems to be popular during a given decade. Ooh, such a cynical thought, I hate even thinking it about him, but it would explain a lot of stuff he's done since the 70's.

He must have been trying to be George Michael, who also recorded a lot of schlock (along with the great dance tunes). Pretty hard trying to find the real David Cassidy in there.

Daydreaming David said...

Oh, don't get me started on his 80s' looks - so awful! It's a good thing he looks like a different person as a blond: I can pretend he IS a different person when I see those pics and videos.

I wonder if "The Last Kiss" is one of his favorites because it was a chart hit after such a long absence? If so, you'd think he'd say "Lyin' to Myself" which was released and charted (though not as high) in North America. I'd never would have discovered the "Romance" album had it not been for a friend who's a rabid DC collector. It gets scant, if any, mention in US-based bios or websites on him.

You're right: looking at his discography, it's a bit hard to find the real DC in there. He's never made the same album twice. It might not be a bad thing if he did.

Anonymous said...

It's not my favorite song he's done, but I have to admit it's growing on me. I prefer the dark- haired David too. At first I didn't like this song, didn't like the blonde that much, and wasn't sure I was going to find him that sexy as an older man. But the more I learn and see him interacting with people, the more I like him and so I end up liking things I didn't originally like. Does that make sense?

Anonymous said...

Whoops! Sorry, I meant to sign the comment above KC.

Daydreaming David said...

Yup, KC. Makes sense. Blond hair doesn't suit though - he looks washed out and pretty ordinary. He's simply stunning with dark hair. I know what you mean about The Last Kiss. I don't like it, but later on, I find myself humming it.

Anonymous said...

I found something wonderful that was uploaded on YouTube 09/16/09 by drlucio:

David Cassidy, Hush,Peterborough Festival Of Lights, 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se8-7Os0fEA

He and his band do a great job with this song!! The second half of the video is "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque". It's a very good quality live video.

Anyway, I didn't know he sang "Hush"!! Does he do "The Last Kiss" live still? "Hush", his Beatles songs, and some of what I've heard on "Old Trick, New Dog" are a lot more in line with his earliest statements about his music tastes.

KC

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to his live performance of "Last Kiss" at Hammersmith in 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGlRDh9JSL0&feature=channel

He describes why the song means so much to him. :)

KC