Monday, September 14, 2009

Never in my wildest nightmares...

could have I imagined this. It was very difficult not to laugh out loud. The background singers don't help any. He doesn't have a bad voice, but...omg, this is bad, phenomenally bad. What a craptastic arrangement for this classic song.

Apparently, Don Johnson was a buddy of David's when they were starting out in the acting biz and he later snubbed a post-heyday David at a party. Did that false encounter later spark the idea for this song? (I'm not clear on the dates.) But good dog, who green-lighted this project? I wonder if David knows about it. If he does, he certainly had the last laugh.

No worries, to rinse out your ears, you'll be able to click on David's brilliant rendition of The Young Rascals' hit right under Sonny Crockett's.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're onto something...that none of the fansites talk about because they're all too busy posting pictures of the lingerie they threw at him on stage...

David Cassidy had (and still has) real, true talent---a gorgeous singing voice, and lovely expression when he sings. On certain songs (almost entirely from 30 years ago), all of that came through. The song you posted (Lonely Too Long), Rock Me Baby, Junked Heart Blues, etc. For a short moment there, it seemed like he was going to really become a recording artist, kind of in the vein of Kenny Loggins, Bonnie Raitt, Dan Fogelberg, CSN, even Rod Stewart. But he never learned how to fight off the people producing him.

Take "My First Night Alone Without You", for example. It's gorgeous! And would be even more gorgeous if you could hear his voice more clearly through all the orchestration and background vocals. Compare it with Bonnie Raitt's version---I much prefer the way Cassidy sings it, but Raitt's band doesn't drown her out. If he had made a record like that, with that kind of production and attention to melody, it would have been a revelation.

He still could do it, even now. but instead we get disco versions of I Think I Love You. It's so sad!

Daydreaming David said...

Thank you very much for your insightful comment.

You've touched on the frustration I've been feeling these past few months as I discover DC's recordings: his potential was never fully realized. Your example of "My First Night Alone Without You" is spot on.

I'll be posting about his more recent work and hope to read your thoughts on it.

SLK said...

Yup, I know all about that frustration. I really wish he would record something I would want to listen to. The Partridge Family dance mixes don't do it for me at all. I will look forward to hearing your thoughts, because I think you are thinking along the same lines...