Monday, September 14, 2009

Ruby & The Rockits: No Season 2

Well, it seems that the show won't be picked up for a second season. Granted, I wasn't its greatest fan but I'm still disappointed. I was enjoying the music and the one-liners and by episode six, when David Gallagher started to act more like an actual person rather than a cartoon, the show was growing on me.

While the pilot boasted the highest ratings of a new comedy on ABC Family, the ratings apparently dropped soon after. I can see why. The show was massively hyped beforehand and I think the 40+ crowd was eager to welcome David Cassidy back into their living room but when David Gallagher showed up, they tuned out. Let's face it, what's likable about David Gallagher? I'm pretty sure that David Cassidy's former fans are now sophisticated enough not to expect Keith Partridge again but I think they wanted to like David Gallagher as much as they did Keith. I know I did. But David Gallagher turned out to be a pompous ass who felt contempt for his fans and was so wrapped up in himself that he couldn't properly care for his own daughter. How can I like him, much less root for him?

Oh, I'm supposed to root for Ruby. Yes, yes, I know. She's the star of the show. But I'm a soon-to-be middle-aged woman tuning in to see David Cassidy work his magic and all I see if a former teen idol nightmare. Sorry, Ruby's cute and all but nothing is must-see about this show for me. I wouldn't turn off the TV if it's on (there's plenty of eye candy and the music's fun) but I wouldn't seek it out either. I was watching the show on YouTube as I don't even get ABC Family. If the YouTube links weren't posted on the fan forums, I'm not sure I would have searched for the show myself.

I can also see that former fans rediscovering David Cassidy on Ruby could have trouble reconciling David's look now with the way he looked 35 years ago. Who wants to mar the souvenir of a godly beauty with reality? After all, if he's aging, so are we all.

The other reason the show might not have been picked up for a second season is that it doesn't belong on ABC Family. As David Cassidy has said, some of the writing pushes the envelope. Also, one of the story arcs might make the average ABC Family viewer uncomfortable (Jordan having a crush on his cousin Ruby).

Still, ten episodes doesn't give a show much time to build a good fan base. I started liking the show by episode six and by episode eight, ABC Family announces it won't renew it. Give it a chance!

I'm planning on writing to the network to express that last thought. If you'd like to express your opinion about their decision, you can email them using this form on their website. Please note that the drop down menu listing their shows does not include Ruby & the Rockits, so you'll have to use "other" in the subject line. There's also a "Save Ruby" video on YouTube with suggestions on how to save the show from cancellation.

Here's my favorite song so far from the show:



I'd love to read your thoughts!

6 comments:

Annie said...

What a great blog! Glad I found it! I just wanted to point out one of my own "theories" and see what you thought.

You write: "But David Gallagher turned out to be a pompous ass who felt contempt for his fans and was so wrapped up in himself..."

My theory is that what we are seeing is a good 90% of what the REAL David Cassidy (not just David Gallagher) is like and I don't think that his fans were ready for this.

I'd be willing to watch another season of this show because, as you mentioned, once David stopped overacting (around episode 5-6) the show became much more fluent and, hence, funnier.

One more thing I'd like to mention (that only a handful of my friends and I have talked about that I know of) is that, in our opinion, PATRICK Cassidy really shined on this show and, for the most part, was what kept us watching the show until it found its footing.

Like you said, ABCFamily should, at the very least, give the show a chance! 10 episodes is definitely NOT enough to do that.

Anonymous said...

The best song is When I Close My Eyes.
I hope this show can be saved. You were right on!!!!

Daydreaming David said...

Ann, I totally agree with you and your friends: Patrick Cassidy shined on this show. Super at ease in the role and isn't he just a total hunk.

No clue about your theory on the real David Cassidy. I've never met the man but I do know he likes to talk about himself in recent interviews.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Great blog.

David Gallagher is Jack Cassidy. (I read somewhere that Shaun Cassidy said he modelled the character on his father). It makes sense---Jack Cassidy was by most accounts a narcissistic, neglectful father. Must have been weird but cathartic in some way for David to play that role.

My favorite parts of the show have been the dumb songs----Va-va-va-vanessa, Love Mosquito, etc. Ha! Very goofy and clever, they could have embellished those even more.

I must say, it's been nice to look forward to seeing David Cassidy on my tv again every week. It's been a long time. Friday nights in 1970 were the highlight of my six year old life!

Daydreaming David said...

Anonymous 6:21, you might be quite right in your assumption that DG is Jack Cassidy. Hadn't thought of that. Would have been nice had he been more likable from the start.

The 80s songs are fabulous with their over-produced, synthesizer/electronic rock sound so typical of the decade and hysterical lyrics. I cringed watching the videos though, all the vamping was embarrassing.

cao said...

David gave a recent interview in People magazine where DC boast about the fact that he didn't parent Katie. David didn't much parenting of Beau either.
I think people want to believe all the lies in David books.
People are not prepared for the fact that David is neglectful and abusive.
As far as Jack Cassidy is concerned, he has two grandchildren named after him
Jack made it on his own in Show Business.
To those of you you thing that David is a self made man who did it on his own, 'Why does this guy always have to turn to his family for help"
JUST ASKING?
By the way, I agree that Patrick was the best part of the show!