Wednesday, September 30, 2009

David Cassidy Favorites

Tell me, what's your favorite David Cassidy song and why do you like it so?

Mine is "Some Old Woman" from the "Dreams..." album. The song is wonderfully bluesy and his clear, warm voice has just the right mix of velvet and rawness for it. Just love the way he says "whoa" and how he makes me want to believe he's "as pure as a newborn child". The first time I heard this song, it didn't register. I heard it properly the second time and then I was hooked. Does he ever do it in concerts? Would be a nice alternate to "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone".

"Dreams..." is by far my favorite album of his. It's mixed to perfection with nothing to detract from his fabulous voice and the songs are timeless.

My close second is "If I didn't care" which was released as a single in the mid-seventies. On CD, it can be found on "Then and Now", "A Touch of Blue" and "David Cassidy & the Partridge Family: The Definitive Collection". I think he's only recorded one version, but I'm not 100% certain. Did he re-record it for "Then and Now"?

This melodious song has to be one of the most romantic songs ever written. Not an ounce of sap or cheesiness to it, just sincere, evocative lyrics.

If I didn't care, more than words can say
If I didn't care, would I feel this way?
If this isn't love, then why do I thrill?
And what makes my head go round an' round
While my heart stands still?


I think David Cassidy's version is the most timeless. The original recorded by the Ink Spots in 1939 sounds almost comical today and Connie Francis' version bears the unmistakable background vocals of the fifties. The most recent version might be the one sung by Amy Adams and Lee Pace in the 2008 film "Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day" - quite nice, serves the scene perfectly. One recorded performance by Frank Sinatra on YouTube supposedly dates from 1939 and is, as is pretty much every song the man has done, vocally perfect. It just doesn't thrill me ;)

Cassidy's version thrills me. First, there is that sexy intro with the piano/snare drum combo and his "ummmm". Take me now (oops, did I type that out loud?). Second, his breathy vocals. An absolute perfect match for the lyrics, they make the words almost tentative, as if he were discovering these truths while singing the song, which, to my mind, is a much more romantic interpretation than the overly confident declarations sung by the other artists. Finally, I love how he sings "you" at the very end.

Here's a portion of David Cassidy's "If I didn't care". Recent live versions from concerts abound on YT and it's interesting to hear how differently he sings it now. His voice has more power, he holds the notes longer and there's no tentativeness in his interpretation. The problem with the live versions is that the audience sings along, drowning him out. At least UK audiences always sing on key as Mr. Cassidy has noted.



And here's "Some Old Woman" because it's criminally under-appreciated.



Looking forward to hearing your choices.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard all the David Cassidy songs yet, but my favorite so far is Sing Me. His bluesy style seems to come through in a lot of his songs (not just the obvious blues songs) and I think this IS his best singing. He does a great job on these songs. He sings these with such depth and authenticity of feeling. It’s very moving to listen to. I also like the way he does the Beatles songs and one of those songs in particular I think could be categorized as a form of blues (I can’t remember the one – my favorites are little practical jokers that like to hide from me when I’m looking for them).

It’s interesting to hear how his singing voice progressed from the PF songs to this. He’s definitely a lot more sophisticated in his singing of these songs. Yeah, I love that rawness – that has to be my favorite!!! ;=)) But I also love the predominately sustained vocals of his youth. There’s that “something” about it that I just respond to. LOL!

singmedavid

Daydreaming David said...

Thanks for your comment, singmedavid. I agree: "Sing Me" is up there in my favorites as well. I have loads of them, each jockeying for first positing on any given day. "Sing Me" is a truly beautiful song with lovely imagery. Tony Romeo was a great songwriter.

Care to elaborate as to what you mean by David's "predominately sustained vocals"? I might be denser than usual today, so apologies if this expression is obvious.

Anonymous said...

Hi British fan here:
I love Sing Me and Damned if this ain't love. I have recently purchased all his old cds (including the ones from Japan) to add to the newer ones. I love the bluesy songs as they sit perfectly with his voice. A very underrated singer.

Daydreaming David said...

I agree British fan: DC is an underrated singer. His vocals on Damned are perfect! Good choice.