Wednesday, August 12, 2009

You sure can please me, Mr. Cassidy

In one of my early posts I said that one day David Cassidy popped into my head for the first time in decades. I lied. I recently recalled that years ago (not a decade but perhaps close?), I got connected to Napster. Remember Napster? Don't ask me why but one of the first singers I searched for was David Cassidy. I downloaded "Rock Me Baby" (it was the only track of his that I found) and I remember listening to it with headphones through a shitty computer sound system and going, "Whoa, that voice is sexy. Is that voice sexy? OMG, but that's a sexy voice. It really is." And I'd wanted to hear him sing "satisfaction", "recreation", "all right now, roll me" and that special phrase that still makes me wobbly-kneed: "you sure can please me, mmm mmm" ad infinitum.

Today, I find David Cassidy's young voice to be one of the sultriest I've ever heard and I've yet to find another male solo artist whose voice affects me the same way. There are other great male voices out there, most definitely. Nat King Cole had a voice like honey. Gorgeous. But sexy? Not to my ears. Frank Sinatra's considered one of the great voices of the century but I find his voice boring. Is that sacrilegious to admit? Elvis Presley could sing anything and make it his own. His voice was sexy. But I still prefer Mr. Cassidy's. And check out the sexy look our man gives the camera at 2:56 when he purrs "oh, you sure can please me, mmm mmm".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I DO LOVE HIS VOICE!! In fact, I think that's what I loved best about him back in the early seventies because I had only seen a few of the PF shows and probably bought only one Tiger Beat magazine. But I did buy a few albums.

In fact, I just rediscovered him after seeing the C'MON Get Happy Movie (1999) recently for the first time. I actually had no idea he was the most wanted man on the planet at one time!! So onto the internet I went, read his first book (yeah, I wanted to read the raunchy sex parts), and have made it a new hobby to traverse the web in search of all things DC! And so far, what a happily satisfying journey it's been. It's almost daily that I find something new that brings tears of a big smile to my eyes. I had forgotten about all those songs too. Wonderful! Had I seen all those images back in the early 70s, I definitely would have been a huge fan of his looks too!!!! LOL!

I like your blog. I haven't had a chance to go through it all yet, but it's been fun so far. AND, I really LOVE your background picture on your YouTube EtoilepourDavid's Channel. Where do you get these pictures??? VERY nice. ;)

Daydreaming David said...

Thank you for your thoughtful comment. Can you believe I still have not read his two autobiographies?! I will but right now, I'm enjoying learning about his career through my research on the internet (though the scarcity of real critiques and reviews gets annoying at times) and trying to figure out what made him tick back in the day on my own (what can I say, I'm a wannabe psychologist).

I saw PF in the mid-seventies in reruns. Missed DC's heyday by a year or two and was too young anyway to realize how big a deal he was back then. Crap, even Erma Bombeck complained about his ubiquity in one of her columns.

The background pic on my YouTube page is from that Rolling Stone interview he did in 1972. Annie Leibovitz took the pic. Delish, isn't it?
Glad you like the blog and hope you'll continue reading and commenting.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The poster from above here again. Thanks for your reply!

His biography was extremely revealing for me but I've only recently just started learning it all so maybe it wouldn't be as beneficial for you. I had been reading all sorts of snippets of stuff on the web, and watching some interviews, but he does an awesome job in the book of taking you through his experiences. It blew me away!! I mean I was stunned, both by his honesty, generosity of revealing very intimate details, his vulnerability, and by the story itself. There were some things that turned me off about him, but all in all, I feel like I came away a sense of who he is, really liking him as a person for putting himself out there like he did, and for what a hard worker he is and how he persevered.

From what I understand, second book is supposed to contain most of what is in the first book, but with some extensions. He supposedly tuned down the sex parts in the second. He does use the “F” word occasionally, and “T” word for a woman’s tatas (I don’t like that word), and he does give very intimate details of some of his experiences with the ladies. If that is one of the reasons for reading the book, it definitely delivers!! LOL!! I’m sure he could write volumes on that topic. But that is just a small part of the book. It’s mostly about the essence of his life. It’s heartbreaking but also triumphant.

KC

Daydreaming David said...

Thanks for your comment, KC. Your articulate opinion on his book is much appreciated.