Saturday, August 29, 2009

Would be an interesting duet, no?

I stumbled upon Suzi Quatro's "Stumblin' In" today on YouTube and LOVED it. Didn't know the song. The only thing I recalled about Suzi was that she played Leather Tuscadero on Happy Days in the 70s and I LOVED the glam rock feel of "Devil's Gate Drive" played on that show. ("Stumblin' In" is much softer than her trademark style.) Back then, there was no internets and I certainly didn't have money to follow music in fan magazines. I was a kid and pretty much only discovered music through TV. The radio was on in the house for my mother (talk radio) and the stereo was stacked with my father's big band albums. Anyhoo. All this to say that I didn't know that Suzi Quatro actually had a career that went beyond her stint on Happy Days.

So here I am discovering her great tunes and researching her career a bit and I find out that she was also born in 1950. She's actually only a couple of months younger than David Cassidy.

She rocked. She really did. She might have rocked harder than David Cassidy ever did in those days. She was Joan Jett's inspiration; that's how groundbreaking she was. Pretty much the only female entertainer rocking hard on the bass backed by a male band at the time.

Parallels with Mr. Cassidy:
-appeared on an iconic 70s TV sitcom (as a guest star, but still)
-found bigger success in Europe than in her native country (thinking in terms of whole career span)
-is in the biz for the love of music and entertaining
-is still rocking today at 59

I could definitely see David Cassidy, circa 1990, collaborating with Ms Quatro. Mr. Cassidy, millennium edition? Not so sure. And as much as the gritty male vocals in "Stumblin' In" are PERFECT for this song (yeah Chris Norman), I do wonder how it would sound with David Cassidy singing those sweet lyrics.

No comments: