Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ruby & The Rockits

Diehard DC fans have been waiting with bated breath for the show's premiere for months now. If you're remotely interested in David Cassidy (and you must be if you're reading my blog), you know this show was created by his half-brother, Shaun Cassidy, and co-stars another half-brother, Patrick Cassidy. The other Cassidy half-brother, Ryan, is the set dresser. Oh, and Shirley Jones, David's TV mom and real-life mom to aforementioned half-brothers IS scheduled to guest star.

I saw it on YouTube. It had some awkward moments but that's to be expected in a pilot (they try to cram in so much back story in so little time) but it made me laugh out loud more than once and I thought it was cute. Patrick Cassidy is one heckuva good-looking fellow and seemed at ease in his role. David is unrecognizable. As I've been re-discovering his career, I HAVE come across his more recent stuff and do know that he's aged in the last ten years but honestly? Something's wrong. His speech is different. Is it really due to a tight facelift as some critics have not so subtly suggested? Way too much Botox? It's just so hard to reconcile his look today and that of yesteryear when he was one of the most beautiful men ever on TV.

He's more than his looks though. He's a very good actor with great comic timing - I hope that this show will allow him to shine in these respects. I don't think he ever got his proper due in those early days and perhaps critics today will admit how damning their teen idol branding was. I also hope that a younger generation will wonder what all the hoopla about David was and check out his early stuff and realize "Yowza, our generation never got this good an idol". (That said, I understand the whole Jonas Brothers mania - they're very good looking, charismatic and have catchy tunes.)

What did you think of the show?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know this post is 8 years old, and I'm just a little late to the party, and this blog hasn't been updated in 6 years, and DD is no longer reading comments, but ....

I've been going through the same re-discovery of David Cassidy ever since he died last month. Sad, because had I gone through this fan-reawakening in 2009 like DD did, I may have caught a concert or two while it was still possible. I had no idea he was touring, singing, doing Vegas, and TV shows (like Ruby). I missed his whole post-Partridge career!

Been reading this blog with great interest because it's well written and intelligent, and the commenters are thoughtful and honest. Too bad it's no longer current.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting here is that I, too, have been trying to figure out why David looks so different in 2009 than he did just a few years earlier. Yes, even his speech is different! I don't see that he'd had a facelift or any cosmetic surgery, to be honest. If he did, then it wasn't glaringly obvious.

What I do notice, however, is that his teeth are different. As we all know, David had very unique teeth. His imperfect dentition, with the two crooked incisors, and longer two front teeth created a wildly attractive and distinctive smile. In later years, his teeth were kind of uniform in length, shorter, and straighter. I don't know if he had them veneered, or if he had dentures or implants, but ... the teeth were not the same. This also seemed to affect the way he spoke. That's my take.