Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I Think I Like You Too

What's happened to good old-fashioned romance in popular culture? Wooing is dead and buried, isn't it? When's the last time you saw a proper turn-your-heart-into-a-helium-balloon romantic movie, comedy or otherwise? Been over ten years, hasn't it? What about songs that describe falling head over heels?

“I Think I Love You” is the classic falling-in-love anthem that catapulted our David Cassidy to stardom. I was listening to it on YT recently (one video of it has gotten over 1.6 millions hits, btw) and as usual, YT helpfully recommended videos based on my selection. One of them was “I Think I Like You” by The Black Box Revelation. At first glance, I thought it was a cover of our beloved ITILY but since it had gotten close to a million views, I figured it had to be a different song. Well, would you look at that, it’s a different TITLE, so yeah, DeeDee, I guess it’s a different song (reading glasses? who, me?).

What a lovely surprise. Thank you Black Box Revelation. I loooove the song’s beat and energy but had to admit that there, in all its glory, was today’s cynicism. As sentimental declarations go, “I Think I Like You” hardly packs the same knee-weakening wallop as “I Think I Love You”, does it? Whatever. I think I like the song. Nah, I’ll go on an emotional limb and declare that I know I like the song.

I liked it so much I had to listen to more of their stuff. Second listen was “Never Alone/Always Together”. The vocals reminded me of Jagger and the rhythm of Smoother’s East Side (I thought everyone knew this song but the video's views say otherwise - do not fear, I've embedded it here). Third up was “High on a Wire”. I like this one too. Looking forward to discovering more of Black Box Revelation.

Anyway, all this fearful sentiment sharing made me wonder about current love songs. What odes to amour would I discover in Billboard’s Top 100? (I’m so very not au courant). I went on Billboard’s site and scanned the titles in search of romantic declarations. Selena Gomez’s “Love You Like a Love Song” had a very promising title and I was intrigued by Jennifer Lopez’s “I’m Into You”. Unfortunately, the songs couldn’t float my rubber ducky in the middle of the Dead Sea but William Levy could. Never mind the Dead Sea, he'd do it in the desert. Who’s Mr. Levy, you ask? In the words of one blogger, he’s a “Cuban actor/model/panty creamer and walking orgasm”. Like dessert, I've saved him for last.












Mind this pic, he’s more than a pretty face. You can see his physique in Ms Lopez’s video. Oh and more pics on You Know You Care, site of the apt description. Go. Now.

5 comments:

singmedavid said...

WOW!!! The last part of the last paragraph sums it very well! William Levy screams SEX! Yum!

You're right about the vocals of Black Box Revelation sounding like Jagger! They have great sound! I've never heard them before. Loved Smoother's East Side too, also new to me.

One "falling in love" song I LOVE is Train's Marry Me which I think reached 34 on Billboard Hot 100 list in 2009 or 2010.

Thanks, especially, for Mr. Levy, DeeDee. I need him tonight.

Daydreaming David said...

Glad to be of service, Singme. Thanks for the link to Marry Me. Never heard the song before. Not as "peppy" as I like 'em, but yeah, that's a potent, romantic lyric.

British fan said...

Never heard of these so like a good girl I did my homework. Seems they are Belgian. I like their sound, dont think they have made an impact on the British music scene but we have a few bands of our own with a similar sound/look. It makes a nice change from all the Hip Hop/rap garbage that still over-saturates. So yes, they sound quite good, are they successful at all over in Canada/USA or maybe they are big on the European circuit.

As for the pretty boy, nah, does nothing for me, (whispers - not sure if he's aimed at the male or female market to be honest). Course I cant stand Jennifer Lopez so that doesn't help.

Daydreaming David said...

No, British fan, BBR isn't known in North America. I know they're currently touring the States so I hope that will change shortly :) I really love their sound. Perhaps there are other similar bands out there but ever since that hip hop stuff started overloading the airwaves, I've tuned out the current music scene. (If you know of British bands with similar sounds, BF, please pass them along.) I'm probably missing out on really good music but I'm not at a point in my life where I can spend time ferreting out the cool obscure stuff. If BBR's ITILY had been titled differently, I never would have discovered them!

And as for pretty boy, have you seen his abs?! His whole physique is drool-worthy. Very genetically blessed young man.

John said...

I Think I Love You, great song which I haven´t heard for years. Going to listen to it now!